If you or someone you know is experiencing an urgent mental health need during this time please utilize one of the following resources:
-Washington County 24-hour mental health crisis line: (503) 291-9111
-National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1 (800) 273-8255
-Crisis Text line: Text HOME to 741741 for free, 24/7 support in the US from a trained Crisis Counselor.
Neil Armstrong Middle School Counseling Program
WHAT IS A SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
- A support person for ALL students
- A resource for parents
- A resource for teachers
- A Counselor
- A Coordinator
- A Consultant
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR:
- Sees students individually and in groups
- Assists teachers/parents with school related issues
- Coordinates school wide Guidance Activities (House Advisory Program)
- Consults with outside agencies
- Participates in Effective Behavior Intervention Supports (EBIS)
- Coordinates 504 Plans
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR IS NOT:
- A Disciplinarian
- An Administrator
- A Therapist
- A Psychologist
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR MAY SEE A STUDENT FOR:
- School related issues
- Social problems
- New or difficult situations
- Decision making strategies
- Successes and accomplishments
- Coping strategies
- Other school related concerns
HOW DOES A STUDENT SEE THE COUNSELOR?
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
- Self referral
*Referrals can occur by phone, note, e-mail, handwritten note, drop in visit, or conference.
SCHOOL COUNSELORS BELIEVE:
- Students learn best when they feel a part of a safe, respectful and responsible school community.
- Students who understand their own feelings are better able to control their behavior and respect themselves and others.
- Students are capable of making responsible choices
- Attitudes formed in Middle School shape future attitudes toward learning, self, and society.
Dr. Marinda Peters (Guardian House Counselor)
503-359-2465 ext. 5217
Mr. Kelsey Kaul (Odyssey & Triton House Counselor)
503-359-2465 ext. 5002
Mrs. McKenzie Davenport (Enterprise & Voyager House Counselor)
503-359-2465 ext. 5111
Ms. Karina Lopez
(Mental Health Counselor)503-359-2465 ext. TBA